Monday, July 16, 2007

Mega church experience

Well, we went to Hebron yesterday for the first time. My mom was apparently excited about it because she and Joy Bryan had looked up where everyone went on the website so I didn't have an excuse not to go I suppose. It was extremely helpful though, so thank you mom. I know I grew up in a much bigger church than what I have been going to, but the small 100 (that may be exagerating believe it or not) family church with 2 buildings is all my kids remember. Abbey was a little overwhelmed as we walked to E Building for her sunday school and children's church classes. She was nervous and said, "Mom, this place is so big, I like our old church where I know where everything is." I explained that I grew up in big churches like this and it can be a lot of fun and that she would know where everything was in no time. She had a good time and was thrilled that she didn't have to sit thru service like she did at Dacula this year. Josh wasn't keen on it until I told him they have karate that he could take on T and TH, then it was the best church in the world. Mary loved it from the minute I dropped her off and her teachers loved her so she was fine with it, but she's younger than the other two and has a pretty easy going personality. Abbey wants to be friends with everyone imediately and there are just too many people to do that in one Sunday, but she will settle in. Josh stays on edge in situations like that where he knows no one, but I checked on him between sunday school and church and he had made a couple of friends so that eased my mind a little.

It wasn't a good sunday to get a real feel for the church...the sunday school class I visited(co-ed singles 30-45) had a substitute teacher because the real teacher was on vacation, the pastor was on vacation so the assistant pastor preached, the chior is on their 2 week hiadous for the summer, and the numbers were tremendously down in both sunday school and church. It was still nice though, very contemporary, which is not what I am used to but I do not oppose it at all. Amazingly, at least for this week, it still had a small church feel to it if that makes sense. Everyone was very nice and genuine, they do an invitation just like everywhere else, which I guess I wasn't expecting for some reason, but I liked it. The Praise team is great! The choir loft seats about 125 (mom counted) which will be so much different than the 22 person choir I've sang with for the past 4 years--but it will be awesome, I'm sure!! So, I think we will stick it out and see how it goes at least for a little while, but I'm pretty sure we will stay!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So, did your mom leave MPFBC too? There are SO many people who have left-Mike Holt resigned last week...my mom fills me in on everything(NOT gossip, of course, just news, as she puts it!) :) Anyway, I'm glad everyone enjoyed the new church.

Jennifer said...

Yes, she did...she had moved a few years back anyway and it takes almost an hour to get there from her house. Joy wanted to get married there though, so she waited to leave until then. Do your parents still go there?

Unknown said...

yes, but my mom said there have been so many changes that lots of people have left. She says that its not all bad changes though and they seem to still enjoy going there. She keeps trying to lure me back into going...its quite funny how "subtle" she is! :-)

mk said...

Changing churches isn't easy, I know. We will certainly be praying for you - that God will make it clear as to where He wants you to serve. When you're where God wants you to be, there is such a peace. When you get a chance, will you please email me your mailing address? Let's get together - maybe after school starts back.

amy said...

YEA for Hebron! Some friends of mine from college went to Hebron. I went there several times the year after college when I was living at home. I went to college with Jason Britt, Pastor Billy Britt's son. I was wondering who else I might be connected to on staff & saw that another guy I knew in college is the Assistant Pastor of Recreation there... his name is Rando Acres. I am going to send an email. I know Hebron is massive, but they have so much to offer. Great opportunities that you may not get at a smaller church.

Amber said...

Good for you Scabies-- I've heard great stuff about Hebron. I hope you guys will love it there!!