Friday, June 09, 2006

History repeated...

When I was a youngster, probably 5 or 6, I sat my sister (Julianna) down on the steps of our front porch. I told her we were going to play barber shop and proceded to cut every pretty blonde curl off her head. I don't remember exactly my mother's response other than it wasn't a good one. Well this morning my children got up before me. (Hey, it's summer and I didn't have my niece today!) They came into my room of course they were immediately ready for breakfast. I told Abbey and Josh to fix cereal and to fix Mary some and I would get up in 20 min.

They followed directions and fixed and ate their cereal. Then apparently Mary started complaining to Abbey that her hair was in her face. Abbey thought, "Oh, I can fix that for you!" She cut off the hair that hung down in her face to about an inch long and uneven. Mary came in and all happy saying, "Mom, Abbey cut my hair for me!"

I jumped up screaming!! Not my best mom moment, I know. (If only I had gotten up at 8am instead of 8:30am) Abbey was arguing her point of trying to help her sister and steam, I'm sure, was coming out of my ears. She got stuck in her room to clean after gathering up every pair of scissors in the house. Mary is happy as she can be because nothing is hanging in her face.

It wouldn't be so bad if she weren't the flower girl in my brother's wedding this Sunday. Maybe I can cover it up with a floral ring in her hair.

I called Julianna to tell her about the incident and her words of comfort were..."Payback's a bitch, isn't it!" There's nothing in this world like the love of a sister!!

3 comments:

mk said...

i'm sure it's one of those moments that you'll laugh about later in life (probably much later). i'm also sure that my day's coming; i just don't which child will be the one to do the "helping" or which one will be "helped". i didn't know jay was getting married?! please give him our best!

amy said...

Huh-larious! come on JB, Abbey was just trying to help a sister out! post a picture of her with her hair cut. i have never seen that child's face!

jmg said...

i am so sad. :( that was the cutest curl EVER!!!