Tuesday, August 14, 2007

BACK TO SCHOOL



Back to school came yesterday and all had a good day. The kids decorated a "back to school" cake when they got home. In the magazine where I got the idea, all the creative wonderful mothers collaborate with their children to come up with themed designs and decorations and then make the cake from scratch with their children. I am not one of those mothers, but I did think the overall idea was cute. So, I baked and iced the cake while they were at school because they did not want to make the cake (which was fine with me-much easier and faster that way). Then when they got home they decorated it with m&ms and star sprinkles. We decided instead of one of the fancy chalkboard or apple cakes like in the magazine, to go with a circle. You are impressed I know, but it tastes the same. I did learn I do not like to write on cakes with icing. All I did was their names and grades and my hand was killing me. Anyway, they liked it, they ate it, and it tasted just as good as a fancy one!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's a cute idea!

mk said...

great idea! although daniel started back yesterday, maybe i'll wait and make one next month when emma starts back.

Meredith said...

That's fun!!! :) I hope they have a fabulous school year with wonderful teachers :)

Anonymous said...

once again the mother of the year award goes to "Jennifer Mason" you have such great ideas. Looks fun and like you really enjoyed it all.

amy said...

what a great mom you are!

jmg said...

how fun! remind me of that when will goes to school!

Amber said...

you are so crafty.. who knew?

Unknown said...

ok...i'm demanding another blog post!!!!

amy said...

dude.. amen on rachel's comment. it's been 1 1/2 months. surely the monkeys & their mama have done something!